The Teacher Education Competency “Teaching and learning are complex” is very deep and sometimes challenging to bring to the forefront of one’s practice. Consideration is required when engaging with my own learning in order to support my individual needs and learning attributes. Thus, much consideration should be taken when supporting student learners.

Throughout this inquiry, I have delved into the traditional knowledge of the first people’s of Northern Vancouver Island and have challenged my own perspective. Not everyday do I feel I am making headway in developing my “indigenized” skillset and understanding, as I struggle to relate to and comprehend my own place in this world. I am looking to find out how I can contribute as an ally but not as a replacement for indigenous peoples in their own communities.

This has not been straightforward at all for me, but the topic of indigenizing my worldview never ceases to be out of sight. Though I am proud of my heritage, I am increasingly hesitant to support the grand industries that supply our food and energy for us – to be consumed without much of a second thought.

Teaching and Learning is complex, and so is the world we live in.

I want to bring compassion into the classrooms I engage with and share it ubiquitously. The only thing I’m scared of is not trying!