Well Djembe, it’s been a slice.

I’ve learned lots about the djembe drum. I feel like I know how to do simple beats well, and how to build them into something more complex and varied. I understand the draw to djembe now more than I did previously; I think that this method of creating sound as music is often overlooked, and seen as an incomplete pursuit of sound. I may have even condescended upon it in that way myself, and I think that part of the reason I wanted to do this instrument for my inquiry was to break that pattern of belief. I am happy to feel that perspective shift, and I feel like I understand the immense beauty that drumming can be. The simplicity of this instrument opens up a larger question – is it possible to quantify sound and be able to say one is better than the other? I think it’s easy to get lost in the world of music critiquing and I think learning the Djembe has helped bring me a rejuvenated view: simple is necessary. If we cannot enjoy a simple beat, then how is it possible we enjoy a more complex combination of rhythms, tones and instruments? Though it is just one piece of wood with skin stretched across it, the djembe is extremely versatile and can be used in complex ways. I came to appreciate this throughout my journey, but especially nearing the end, I am feeling that this is instrument, and other single-tone drums have infinite potential in music.